Council Delhi Knights of Columbus

About
the
Knights

Founded in 1919 in LaSalette and have been serving Delhi and LaSalette ever since.

Ontario Knights of
Columbus

Ontario Knights of Columbus can be found in over 560 Councils across the Province of Ontario with tens of thousands of members from a wide diversity of ethnic backgrounds. We established a presence here over 120 years ago, and since the have been performing quiet acts of charity in our Church Ministries, and our communities. We give our members the tools and resources to stay informed, take action, and support local, national, and international efforts on issues that are important to us.

Family

Our History

The Knights of Columbus in Ontario was founded on January 28, 1900, when a class of fifty-nine candidates was initiated in Ottawa, Ontario, forming Council 485. Up until that time, it was a United States-based organization. Over the next ten years, the growth in Ontario occurred primarily in towns where the railway passed through, with commercial salesmen or transient printers bringing the news of the Order to these towns.

In 1903, Kingston, Cornwall, and Peterborough added Councils, and in 1904 a State Council was formed in Ontario, with M.J. Gorman of Ottawa being elected as the first State Deputy of the Province. By 1910, there were twenty-four Councils and over 3,500 members of the Order in Ontario. The next decade saw continued growth of membership in the Knights, both in Councils and membership especially after the war ended in 1918.

However, in what was a sign of things to come, there was a laxity of Councils filling in reports and answering letters, and members’ dues began to fall behind, with some members paying on a credit instead of cash basis. While this growth in members continued into the early 1920s, the arrival of motion pictures, radio, sports teams and service clubs brought challenges for the Knights of Columbus in Ontario. Newer members were joining, but were not becoming involved at the Council officer level. By 1924 membership growth started to turn toward losses.

Programs, however, continued to grow, and many Council’s started to have Corporate Communions and breakfasts. With the onset of the Depression in the 1930s, membership declined even further, By 1937 it had reached the level attained by 1918. The Text Book and Scholarship Funds, both started in the 1920s, continued during the Depression, but the Scholarship Fund eventually was discontinued due to a lack of interest from students.

The State Convention was reduced to a one-day meeting (and remained this way until 1964,) but Regional meetings were set up in various locations throughout the year as a way to substitute for the reduced Convention time. Ontario was proud to host the Supreme Convention in 1936 and again in 1944 (and later in 1972 and 2001) in Toronto. The end of World War II saw an increase in membership, and by the end of the 1940s, membership once again reached that which had been achieved in 1923. The end of the Second World War saw the first edition of the State Bulletin, edited by William Sheady of Guelph, who was the Executive Secretary and Publicity Director for the Board. In 1950, State Deputy Frank Hyde developed a competition for Councils in Ontario, which started the tradition of naming the best Council in Ontario at the annual Convention. In 1962, the trophy was replaced by a lectern, which is passed to the winning Council each year.

About the Knights

The 1950s saw a change in the way elections to the State Council were managed. Up until 1955, no State Officer who had served in the position of Warden had advanced to become State Deputy; James Gaffney of Hamilton became the first. The progression system that was created is in place today, where a State Officer is elected to the position of State Warden for a two-year term and then elected every second year to the next highest position until they become State Deputy. In 1963, the first history of the Order in Ontario was published by William Sheady, and this was updated in 1975 by PSD Vincent Kelly. Later, Arthur Peters, Past State Deputy, wrote a new edition to bring the history up to date. 

1964 saw the first ever Ontario State Curling Bonspiel take place in Orillia, where it continues today. By 1975, there were 155 Councils in Ontario, and in 1972 Ontario was recognized as the leading jurisdiction in the Order for membership increases above suspensions. 

In 1980, recognizing the growth of the Order in Ontario, the first office was set up at 3335 Yonge Street in Toronto. Phil Walke was hired as the first Administrative Assistant to be replaced in 1984 by PSD Fred Bedard, PSD Phil Zakoor in 1990, Rick McLauchlan in 2001, and Jack Costigan in 2013. The office has also changed locations, with the State Council purchasing a building on Warden Avenue in 1989, moving from there to a leased space on Yorklands Boulevard in 1999, and to our current location in Hamilton in 2003.

Knights of Columbus

The Delhi - LaSalette Knights of Columbus

Our Council, # 05095, The Delhi – LaSalette Knights of Columbus, are located in Delhi, Ontario, a small town in Norfolk County in Southwestern Ontario.

Our community and county, known as Ontario’s Garden and the Heart of Tobacco County is located on Highway 3 between Tillsonburg and Simcoe 15 minutes from the North Shore of Lake Erie.

Originally Chartered in 1919 as Sacred Heart Council, # 1969 from LaSalette, Ontario by a large group of local Catholic gentlemen. This council flourished for many decades.

In 1961, the Father John Uyen Council # 5095 was chartered forming the Delhi – LaSalette Knights of Columbus, amalgamating LaSalette and Delhi, which we remain to this day.

We have been active in the community ever since, supporting our Catholic parishes, schools, minor sports, elderly and under privileged community members.

Although we are a Catholic organization, we donate to all causes and needs without discrimination. Our mandate is help anyone in need and support all good causes, locally and throughout Ontario, Canada, and the world.

We have had a great legacy of leadership in our council, our past Grand Knights are worthy of mention:

Donald L. Murphy, 1961 – 1962
Roger VandenBussche, 1962 – 1964
Andre Vandepoele, 1964 – 1965
Paul Beal, 1965 – 1966
Joseph A. Murphy, 1966 – 1967
Omer Beselaere, 1967 – 1968
James Mcneil, 1968 – 1970
Roger Clarysse, 1970 – 1972 & 1975 – 1976
Joseph V. Murphy, 1972 – 1974
Paul Dertinger, 1974 – 1975
James VanLaeke, 1976 – 1977
Gabriel Coppens, 1977 – 1979
Larry Duwyn, 1979 – 1980
Cyriel Pollet, 1980 – 1982
Ron Kichler, 1982 – 1984 & 1987 – 1988
Stan DeBock, 1984 – 1985
John VanDyk, 1985 – 1987
Ed Deconinck, 1988 – 1990
Denis Harbor, 1990 – 1993
Gary Deconinck, 1993 – 1995
George Develter, 1995 – 1998
Robert Dewaele, 1998 – 2000
John McMahon, 2000 – 2002
Louis Vilez, 2002 – 2003
Raymond Toste, 2003 – 2005
Ray Grubb, 2005 – 2006
Tim Gibney, 2006
Chris Wolfer, 2007 – 2009
George DaSilva, 2009 – 2012
Rick Beneff, 2012 – 2014
Donald Murphy, 2014 – 2016
Bill Hasilo, 2016 – 2018
Alvelino Marques, 2018 – present

Who we Support

With great leadership and devout members, we have raised and donated to many notable causes.

– Senior Support Services
– Catholic Women’s Leagues
– Minor Sports groups, Hockey, soccer, baseball, karate
– Area public and high schools – educational bursaries
– Food and welfare causes
– Elderly care and compassion
– Hospitals, medical centres and clinics
– area parks and recreational facilities
-child and youth summer camp initiatives
– charities, ALS, Cancer, Arthritis, Alzheimers and more
– Seminaries and Seminarians
– Libraries
– Legions
– and much more

Knights of Columbus

IN COMMUNITY

We belong to the Norfolk County Family of Parishes, encompassing Waterford, Simcoe, Port Dover and ourselves. Although we are all independent groups, we have close relationships with our CWL ladies and fellow Brother Knights from these towns.

Knights of Columbus